Wednesday, March 16, 2011

meters and foot lighting


I will never be a true Kiwi… and I hope that’s okay. It’s strange giving up your home (i.e. country) and trying to claim a new place. I didn’t grow up here, I can never really celebrate Waitangi Day (I mean, I can participate like a Frenchman watching a 4th of July parade), and there are just some things I may not ever grasp. Like the metric system. And that pisses me off. Here we have a perfectly good structure of measurement, based on numbers that make sense (like 1000mm = 1m and freezing is 0 degrees), yet I have wasted 31 years of my life with the understanding that this particular distance is 12 inches, or a foot. What a waste.

But pulling out my tape measure every time someone asks me for a length of truss aside, work is still flowing, and I have lit everything from a world touring drag show (where I learned the art of foot lighting from a queen) to a formal dinner for the American Embassy. And so far I’ve been pretty happy just with the fact I had work and a little (very little) money coming in. Until last weekend.

My “Warrant of Fitness” expired on my car about 2 weeks ago. No problem, I pretty much bike everywhere anyway. So I leave my car parked on the street in front of my house and become a dedicated bike commuter until I have the time and feel the need to take care of it. Well, the need arose this weekend when I received a $200 ticket because (as I learned the hard way) it is illegal to park on a public road (read as: in front of my house) with expired tags. Here I thought I was doing the right thing by not driving it… silly me. The piss icing on this shit cake was when I took the car in and it failed the inspection, needing 3 new tires, and a few other piddly things.

Under “normal” circumstances, a vehicle issue of this magnitude would send me sobbing home and hysterically thinking of any way I could ditch my car and get our of this financial mess (for some reason, spending money on a car is one of the few things that will ruin my day). But here, being completely out of my element, with no comforts and no one to turn to, I suddenly became extremely rational (well, after shedding a few tears). I took all the necessary steps to fix it, get my tags up to date, wrote a letter to the city council to appeal that outrageous ticket -- still awaiting response on that one – and realized I definitely need to reevaluate my NZ game plan.

I’ve had this thought before, usually while building a stage, being pelted with rain carried by 140km winds or wrapping cable in mud up to my eyeballs (who’s fucking idea was it to be a rigger in Wellington ANYWAYS??!?!). But this time it’s a little more serious. I don’t know what it means yet but I do know I’m 31, have a degree, and am making less money than when I was slinging burgers and beer.

Hopefully I’ll have a little more clarity in a couple weeks when the other half of my soul gets in this hemisphere. 15 DAYS!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jeanne!! I know that feeling...I think any of us who have jumped countries know this feeling.

    Sending good wishes to my twin from another mother.

    xo Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. You may never be a kiwi, but you'll make your place there in time. You're a strong woman with a will of steel! I think Danny being there will help. Everyone needs a little support.

    And if it turns out you never do feel at home there....just...come home. :)

    ReplyDelete